The RBG levies taxes on behalf of water and municipal authorities. You contribute towards the work that water authorities and municipalities do for you and others. Below, you can see what water authorities and municipalities do.
What does the water authority do?
- Cleaning dirty water. Consider, for example, water from the toilet, shower, washing machine and kitchen. This is done with waste water treatment plants.
- Minimising the chance of flooding. For example, by maintaining the dykes and the embankments. By pumping out water when it rains a lot. Or by retaining water when there is a drought. The water authority also takes care of clean, healthy and flowing water.
What does the municipality do?
- The collection and processing of your waste.
- Maintaining the sewer system. This is the pipe system that takes your dirty water to the waste water treatment plant of the water authority.
- Taking care of general matters in your place of residence. Consider, for example, trees, shrubs, streets, community centres and playgrounds.