Directly to content

Waste water treatment levy for commercial premises

The Water Control Board spends money to clean used water. For example, this concerns water you used and that is drained through the sink, drains and the toilet. This water goes into the sewer of a Water Control Board purification and filtration system. The Water Control Board pays for the cost of the system using the tax money.

For whom?

The user of a building or plot, other than a home. The building or plot should be connected to the sewer system or a purification system.

Business estate / mixed office building 
If several companies make use of shared facilities such as toilets and a kitchen in a mixed office building, they do not have their own commercial premises. In that case, the owner or the lessor of the building receives the tax bill.

Company in the home where you live
Do you run a business from your home? And there is no water (sink / basin) in this business space? Then you are not sent a tax bill for waste water treatment levy. You will receive only a tax bill for the waste water treatment levy for residential premises.

Renting rooms
Are you renting rooms? Do the tenants share a toilet, kitchen and bathroom or shower? Then you are classed as a company. The owner of the building receives the tax bill.

How is the tax calculated?

For most companies, the amount of water consumed is the calculation basis. You pay a number of VE (pollution units). The number of VE multiplied by the rate is the amount due.
The RBG calculates the number of pollution units (VE) for most companies based on the waste water coefficients table.

Preliminary tax bill
The RBG estimates the preliminary tax bill based on the tax bill of the previous year. Is this the first time you receive a tax bill? Then the RBG applies an estimate of the number of pollution units.

Final tax bill
The RBG applies the water consumption on the invoice of the water utilities board to calculate the amount of your tax bill. This invoice is used for the tax year that is most relevant on the invoice. What if the period on the invoice is longer or shorter than one year? Then the RBG derives the water consumption to exactly one year. For companies with household waste water (such as shops and offices), the following rules apply:

  • up to 43 cubic metres of water consumed per year: one pollution unit (1 VE);
  • from 44 cubic metres to 217 cubic metres of water consumed per year: three pollution units (3 VE);
  • from 218 cubic metres of water consumed per year: five or more pollution units (3 VE).

Example of a company with household waste water that drains more than 218 cubic metres: 514 cubic metres of water x 0.023 VE/cubic metres = 11.82 pollution units. For companies not draining any household waste water, different rules apply.

If you do not agree with the amount of the tax bill, then please send an objection notice via My RBG. Please attach the water bill from the utilities company as evidence.

Rates 2024

Water Control Board Rate
Delfland Water Control Board € 106.04 per pollution unit ( ve)
Schieland & Krimpenerwaard Water Control Board € 71.29 per pollution unit ( ve)

Frequently asked questions

Waste water treatment levy